Monday, July 12, 2010
Vegan Golden Vanilla Cupcakes with Avocado "Buttercream" Frosting
A prelude to a kiss.
That's all I ask for.
And by prelude. I mean dinner and a movie.
Or a walk on the beach.
Or a picnic in Central Park.
I mean gazing into each other's eyes. I mean sparks and butterflies. I mean magic.
I do not mean five minutes of dancing to Lady Gaga. In a dark and stormy bar. On a Friday night. In the middle of July.
After just having met. Mere minutes before.
Is it any wonder I felt the need for absolution on Saturday morning?
A desire to prove to myself that everything in this world is not tainted by dirt. Grime. Sleaze.
(And to think I only had one beer. Praise the lord.)
I'm not usually one to proselytize.
But really guys. What ever happened to courtship? Romance? Even, dare I say it, first dates?
Call me old fashioned.
But anything less. And I am basically guaranteed to wake up the next morning ready to forget the entire thing.
So are you taking notes?
I know you are squinting at these cupcakes. Saying. "Joanne. I know you had a rough night. But vegan cupcakes? Really? Don't you think that's kind of...extreme?"
Well. Normally I would agree with you. But I baked these for a school event at which a substantial fraction of the attendees were going to be vegan. So to say that I had no choice in the matter. Would be an understatement.
They are surprisingly absolutely delicious. Incredibly moist. Devoured by all. Vegans and non-vegans alike.
As for the avocado buttercream. Most recipes I found for vegan frosting required me to buy shortening. The thought of which made me feel even sleazier than making out with a guy I wasn't even particularly attracted to did.
And then there was Joy the Baker. Who really is a dream. Because not only is this avocado buttercream delicious. But it's good for you. Wholesome. And so when you eat it from the bowl. With a spoon. You can do so absolutely guilt free. And possibly even self righteously. If you're so inclined.
I am submitting these to Two For Tuesdays and to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is being hosted by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook.
Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY! Or to submit your entries to Regional Recipes: ETHIOPIA!
Also, in case you haven't noticed, Eats Well With Others now has a Recipe Index and an About Me page! You can click these links or use the sidebar.
Golden Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes 12, adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk the almond milk and vinegar in a mixing cup. Allow to curdle for a few minutes.
3. Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract. Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet ingredients, mixing until just incorporated and no lumps remain.
4. Pour into muffin liners and bake for 20-22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Avocado Buttercream Frosting
Makes enough to ice at least 2 dozen cupcakes, adapted from Joy The Baker, who got it from Alton Brown
8 oz very ripe avocado meat
2 tsp lemon juice
1 lb powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix together the avocado and lemon juice until smooth. Little by little, beat in the powdered sugar. Add in the vanilla extract until combined. Dye with food coloring if, like mine, your frosting is an extremely unappealing shade of green.