In general, I try not to make completely non-evidence based medical promises about the food that I try to shove down your throat every day.
(At least not on the blog. If you meet me in real life...I will probably tell you sixty times over that eating McDonald's will give you herpes. Somehow that scares people more than the threat of heart disease. Weird.)
But this pasta with its creamy delicious lemony basil-y summer-in-your-mouth avocado sauce?
It will totally give you superpowers.
How else can you explain how I managed to run twenty miles on Saturday without hitting a single bite me zone?
And still had enough energy to hop a train to New Jersey and play with the most adorable three and nine-year olds on the face of this earth?
Well, if no one has any better suggestions...I'm going to dust off my cape and hot pink leggings.
Cause I feel another batch of this coming on.
...and if one bowl can give me that much running prowess. We should all brace ourselves for what that second bowl is going to do.
Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce
Serves 2, adapted from Oh She Glows
- 1 medium sized, ripe avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced plus lemon zest to garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, with more added to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 6 oz bucatini
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring several cups of salted water to a boil in medium pot. Add in pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Make the sauce by placing garlic cloves and lemon juice into a food processor. Process until smooth. Add in the avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour sauce over pasta, adding a bit of pasta water if necessary to make it looser. Taste for salt. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper.