A marathon/hurricane catch-22. That's where I'm at right now.
You see, my preoccupation with having to run 26.2 miles IN A ROW in less than seven days has prevented me from taking any logical, rational, and/or reasonable hurricane related precautions. And so while everyone else at the local grocery store was buying water and pretzels and pumpkin beer (you know...logical, rational and/or reasonable shelf-stable items)...
...I bought cheese.
SO not logical, rational, reasonable.
And/or shelf-stable. I'm doomed.
And then there were all of the things that I was supposed to do to prepare for the marathon that I just could.not.do because I was too busy watching and rewatching every press conference and news special on the hurricane.
I can recite Mayor Bloomberg's speech to you right now. Word for word. Not kidding. But do I have throwaway clothes to wear as I wait for four hours in the cold in Staten Island (if it still exists after the storm surge)? Or an iPod playlist to get me through four hours of running? Or five pounds of pasta cooked and ready for consumption over this week?
I'm not even going to dignify my rhetorical questions with an answer.
The one thing I do have?
This quinoa salad. And...it's awesome.
Stuffed full of roasted cauliflower, a creamy broccoli pesto, almonds, avocado and goat cheese, it'll fill you with a sense of calm during these crazy times so that all you'll be able to focus on is how happy your taste buds are.
Amidst all of this insanity and utter uncertainty...it is logical, rational and/or reasonable. And sometimes...that's exactly what you need.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Goat Cheese
Serves 4-6, adapted from 101 Cookbooks
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 5 cups broccoli, cut into small florets and stems
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 big pinches of salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- In a small pot or pan, heat the quinoa, two cups of water, and a few pinches of salt. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Drain any extra water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400. Place cauliflower on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt and roast for 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower starts to brown a bit.
- Barely cook the broccoli by pouring 3/4 cup water into a large pot and bringing it to a simmer. Add a big pinch of salt and stir in the broccoli. Cover and cook for a minute. Transfer the broccoli to a strainer and run under cold water until it stops cooking. Set aside.
- To make the broccoli pesto, puree two cups of the broccoli, 1/2 cup of the almonds, the parmesan cheese, salt and lemon juice in a food processor. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and cream and pulse to combine.
- Just before serving, toss the quinoa, the remaining broccoli florets, and the cauliflower with the dressing. Top with avocado, goat cheese, and remaining almonds.